Property Management: The 8 Most Important Things To Know When Hiring Professional Cleaning Services
A fast tenant turnover time is key to keeping the revenue flowing. Find out how professional cleaning services can help.
How Tenant Turnover Factors In
Tenant turnover is one of the most critical factors in property management and an opportunity to boost income. If you are looking to increase your rentals, it's crucial that you know how to manage your tenants. A proper cleaning strategy during turnover is vital. Cleaning often gets less thought, but you should ensure that your property is well-maintained and in good condition.
When you're a property manager, tenants move in, tenants move out, and they can sometimes leave a mess when they leave. Wear and tear due to everyday use is expected when the property has carpeting or allows pets. Messes like spills and daily life will add to it. The last resident might not always take the best care of the floors during their occupancy, which renders them in no-so-great shape by the time it's time for someone else to come in and take over.
A property manager can't leave a rental in a state of disrepair because the unit needs to turn over to continue making a profit quickly. Depending on how large the property is and how many units the property manager needs to clear out, it's can be easy to become overwhelmed by everything that needs to be done to keep the vacancies to a minimum.
When To Hire a Professional Cleaning Company
There are many cleaning services, and it can be hard to find the best one for your needs. When deciding on which company to hire, determine what type of cleaning service you need for the project at hand.
You should hire a larger cleaning company for multiple properties which can handle the work. You should find one that is reputable and has experience in property management. Consider looking for a company that has more than one location and that uses the same staff members.
When hiring a cleaning company:
- Ask yourself if you need a one-time service or if you want ongoing services.
- Ask yourself if you need a cleaning company with experience.
- Ask yourself if they offer references and what those reviews say about the service.
- Ask yourself if they have the appropriate licensing to perform their job.
- Ask yourself how often do they come in and what is their cleaning standards like.
Why Should You Hire Professional Cleaning Services?
Deep cleaning is a way of enhancing the appearance of your building. There are many reasons you should consider hiring professional cleaners and not just for aesthetic reasons. Professional property management cleaning is vital for your facility. These services are required to keep your facility in prime condition and they can also save you money on taxes. After deep cleaning, you'll create a healthier living community by removing allergens and buildup, such as dirt and pet hair. Hiring professional services is a smart move because they'll remove any dirt, mold, and allergens that are hiding in your carpets. Why not leave the stress of cleaning to the professionals?
What Are the 8 Most Important Things To Know When Hiring Professional Cleaning Services?
- What types of cleaning services are needed for your facility.
- What the budget is for the cleaning services needed.
- The number of areas that need to be cleaned.
How often the property needs to be cleaned.
- Any special requirements, such as pet stains or carpet cleaning.
- Ensure they have the proper training.
- Ask them how they manage the health and safety of your property.
- Ask them what their insurance covers if anything gets damaged.
Where To Turn To for Property Management Cleaning Services
Like a great property manager who is adept at handling the needs of their landlords and tenant, SERVPRO of Northeast Spokane is always here to help the needs of our customers. With award-winning training, over 50 years of experience in the industry, and more than 100 exclusive cleaning products, our team can handle anything that comes our way. Let us help you achieve fast turnover times and keep the revenue flowing with one call to 509-474-9144.
How a Smoke Detector Can Save Your Life
When Was the Last Time You Checked Your Smoke Alarm? It Could Save You and Your Families Life!!!
Smoke Alarms Can Save Lives: When Was the Last Time You Checked Yours?
When installed and adequately maintained, smoke alarms can dramatically reduce the risk of injuries and even death caused by fires. According to data by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA):
- Smoke alarms were present in three-quarters (74%) of reported home fires in 2014–2018.
- Almost 3 out of 5 home fire deaths were caused by fires in properties with no smoke alarms (41%) or smoke alarms that failed to operate (16%).
- When smoke alarms were present in reported fires considered large enough to activate them, they operated in eighty-nine percent of the fires, seventy-three percent of the deaths, and eighty-two percent of the injuries.
- The risk of dying in reported home structure fires is fifty-five percent lower in homes with working smoke alarms than in homes with no alarms or none that worked.
- When present, hardwired smoke alarms operated in ninety-four percent of the fires considered large enough to trigger a smoke alarm. Battery-powered alarms functioned eighty-two percent of the time. Power source issues were the most common factors when smoke alarms failed to operate.
If you'd like to read more on the report, you can do so here. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) also recommends the following:
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home and in every bedroom. Do not install the smoke alarm where it could be blocked or damaged.
- Smoke alarms should be installed away from the kitchen and shower to prevent false alarms and should be at least around ten feet from a cooking appliance.
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month using a test button.
- Replace batteries in all smoke alarms at least once a year, though twice would be best. Daylight savings time can be good dates to set for this task.
- Replace all smoke alarms when they are ten years old. Don't forget to write the date on the alarm when it was installed.
- Newer alarms on the market also offer carbon monoxide detection and voice alarms, which have shown to be more effective in waking children up.
Should fire damage happen in your home, our team of certified experts at SERVPRO of Northeast Spokane stands ready to help make it "Like it never even happened."® Let us know how we can help at 509-474-9144.
My Water Bill Is Too High — I Think I Might Have a Water Leak
If you have a leaking pipe causing water damage, call the trusted experts at SERVPRO of Northeast Spokane.
Is your water bill too high in Spokane?
What can you do if you think you might have a water leak but cannot locate the source? There are some ways to narrow down the problem. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has some tips to help you determine if you have water leaks in your home:
- Pull out your water bill and take a look at the usage during a colder month, such as January or February. If a family of four exceeds twelve thousand gallons per month, there are serious leaks.
- Monitor your water meter before and after a two-hour period when no water is being used. If the meter changes at all, you might have a water leak.
- Identify toilet leaks by placing a drop of food coloring in the toilet tank. If any color shows up in the bowl after 10 minutes, you have a leak.
- Examine faucet gaskets and pipe fittings for any water on the outside of the pipe to check for surface leaks.
SERVPRO of Northeast Spokane has a team of highly trained water damage cleanup technicians on-call 24-hours a day to respond to water damage emergencies. Call us today at 509-474-9144 and allow us to help make your water damage "Like it never even happened."®
SERVPRO of Northeast Spokane is Independently Owned and Operated.
Is There Ever an "Off" Season When It Comes to Mold Growth in Spokane?
Mold can be lurking in walls even in cold temperatures. Proper mold remediation can ensure the safety of you and your home or business.
There will always be mold from Elk to Spokane Valley and everywhere in between. The season itself doesn't matter because it is a resilient irritating product of nature.
Here are some of the most popular things we hear about mold from our customers and the moldy facts:
"There can't be mold growing in my basement. It's not even getting above freezing during the day."
The truth is that mold can grow whenever there is consistent moisture or water source and the temperature is above 32 degrees. A leaking water heater or pipe in the ceiling can very well be the source of the water intrusion, causing mold in the winter in your basement.
"Seriously though, it's cold out; how is it even growing?"
It's not 20 degrees inside your walls unless they're entirely uninsulated from the environment, which here in the Spokane area would be a terrible idea considering the winters we get. An unconditioned space like an attic or crawlspace or even a basement is typically insulated to help keep pipes from freezing in the winter and keep heat inside. If you are unaware that a pipe has been leaking in the wall or ceiling, mold can start growing in as little as 48 hours under the right conditions. While it's true that it does take longer to grow in the winter months, it will still be there.
"We are noticing an odor now after fixing a leaking pipe a few weeks ago."
That unmistakable smell of microbial growth: the musty, off-putting, earthy, dirty, something-is-funky-here smell. So before you go reaching for that bottle of bleach, hear us out. It's only going to scratch the surface of mold growth. Even if you see a visible difference when you scrub it, the inside of the material you are cleaning, such as drywall, is still harboring whole colonies of microbes ready to spring back to life. If you feed it bleach, it will just keep returning, as bleach is made up mostly of water.
"Eww, where does mold even come from?"
Mold, also known as microbial growth, is something that is naturally occurring in the environment. Walk outside and take a breath; there are mold spores everywhere. They get into your living or workspace by hitching a ride on clothing, pets, opening a door or window, the list goes on. Mold will always always be present when water is present. It needs moisture, the right temperature, and an excellent organic food source like wood or drywall to live and thrive. When these three things align indoors, it is a cause of concern for humans and their furry friends.
"How do we get rid of mold?"
The first step is to call a certified 'mold removal' or mold remediation company, like SERVPRO of Northeast Spokane. Our expert team will ask a few questions to get a good idea of the scope of damage prior to our initial inspection. Once our certified mold remediation pros inspect the damage, a game plan can be developed to get the health of your structure back. This may involve setting containment with plastic sheeting, removal, and treatments of the affected areas in your home, HEPA air filtration, as well as setting drying equipment, depending on the scope of the project.
If you think you might have a mold issue in your home or business, trust the local experts who have the trust of Spokane area property owners. We'll walk you through every step of the way and are always Here to Help-24/7/365. Give us a call at 509-474-9144.
Help! I Just Got Home From Vacation and There Is Water Everywhere!!!
Water from a broken upstairs bathroom toilet supply line flooded and damaged this entire house. What would you do if you walked into this scene?
An Unwelcome Surprise
Imagine coming home from vacation, walking in your front entrance, and seeing water on the floors and drywall falling on your furniture and personal belongings because the ceiling is crumbling down. As you examine your home, you quickly realize your whole house is flooded.
Your house is where you take refuge from the outside world. Home is where happy memories should surround you. When it's threatened by water damage, that can often be quite traumatic.
When asked, the one-word SERVPRO customers use to describe our team was 'heroes.' We are here to help with compassion, expertise, and urgency.
About SERVPRO of Northeast Spokane
SERVPRO of Northeast Spokane is a full-service disaster restoration company. We offer emergency 24/7 mitigation services and complete reconstruction services. So when an emergency arises in your home or business, give us a call, and we'll be there fast with the assistance you need.
SERVPRO of Northeast Spokane focuses on the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage disaster. Our team is exceptionally trained in property damage restoration. No matter what size disaster, from a single story and an entire high-rise, rest assured that we have the knowledge and resources to restore your property "Like it never even happened."
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned – a defensive cleaning program
Our defensive cleaning program gives your business a way forward by providing your employees and customers ongoing safety and assuredness.
Let us help you get back to business
As our communities re-open, we’re all moving back toward a new kind of normal. The expectations of visitors, customers, and employees who come into our establishments have evolved, and staying safe and well is a top concern. The global COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, and we’ve developed a program to help your business meet the new higher standard of clean that is now expected.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program we’re offering to businesses and commercial locations to address the current COVID-19 pandemic. This proactive viral pathogen cleaning program goes well beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard – you are Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Extensive training and specialized products
As the #1 choice in cleanup and restoration*, we stand on more than 50 years of experience and expertise to help your business become Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned. Beyond fire & water, SERVPRO professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills – always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
From formulating and creating our proprietary cleaning products, like SERVPROXIDE, at our headquarters in Gallatin, TN, to taking the utmost care while disinfecting, we will ensure you and your business are set up to inspire consumer confidence as the economy continues to reopen.
3 C’s – Consult, Clean, and Certify
When the stakes are this high, you want a partner who has developed an industry leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions, and remediation processes over decades. We’ve cleaned up some of the most challenging biohazards imaginable. Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects our unique experiences and capabilities. The program is grounded with our unique 3 C’s: Consult, Clean, and Certify.
- Consult – Every business is different, which is why you’ll be assigned a Cleaning Protocol Consultant who understands your business and will create a cleaning program to meet your specific needs. This program will be developed based on your business type, size of space, amount of high frequency touchpoints, foot traffic and congestion points.
- Clean – Based on your specific business needs, your location will undergo a thorough, deep clean, using exclusive cleaning products, according to protocols set forth by the CDC. Our employees have years of experience, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porous surfaces, disinfecting of non-porous surfaces, cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for cleanup process, and disposal of hazardous materials. In the event of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 event, we will be there cleaning within 24 hours to ensure you get back to business as quickly as possible.
- Certify - Once your business location has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you will gain access to proprietary signage, digital emblems, and other collateral that communicates that you’ve selected a higher standard of clean available to help protect your employees and customers. And because we add the day, month, and year to that proprietary stamp of clean, your guests will know that not only did you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, but that your location is being cleaned regularly at this standard.
Call today for a Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation
We’re Here to Help – 24 hours a day, seven days a week – until life is back to normal in the communities we all call home.
Call SERVPRO of Northeast Spokane today at 509-474-9144 for your Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation.
* #1 Choice in cleanup & restoration based Commercial Attitude & Usage Tracking study. Polling 816 commercial business decision makers on first choice for future needs related to cleanup & restoration work. Study conducted by C&R Research: October 2019
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned means professionally trained SERVPRO franchises perform the requested cleaning, sanitizing and disinfection services according to proprietary SERVPRO protocols and recognized industry and CDC standards with EPA approved cleaning products to deliver a SERVPRO certified cleaning experience. Each SERVPRO franchise is independently owned and operated.
How Long Should I Wait To Clean Up After Fire Damage?
Fires can be devastating and dangerous to your health. Give our SERVPRO of Northeast Spokane team a call to help restore your fire-damaged property.
Waste No Time Calling Your Local SERVPRO of Northeast Spokane Team After Fire Damage in Your Home
The speed with which a fire affects your home and contents is surprising to most. Stress and uncertainty can make waiting to act for a few days feel like a smart move, but every second counts. Damage to building materials, furnishings, household goods, and personal belongings can start immediately.
What Is the Typical Timeline for Damage From a Fire?
Fire damage in the Spokane area follows a highly predictable pattern, and we respond quickly because our trained technicians know that mitigation efforts can slow or halt the damage.
Fire Damage Timeline: What Can Occur Within Minutes?
- Plastics yellow and absorb odors
- Porous materials can begin to corrode and discolor
- Soot particles infiltrate soft goods like fabrics, carpeting, and area rugs
Fire Damage Timeline: What Can Occur Within Hours?
- Finishes on wooden surfaces and grout darken
- Surfaces on appliances and fiberglass discolor
Fire Damage Timeline: What Can Occur Within Days?
- Metals start to tarnish and corrode
- Fabrics permanently stain
- Paint on walls discolors and stains
- Wood floors and furniture deteriorate and need often refinishing
- Vinyl flooring can crumble
Fire Damage Timeline: What Can Occur Long Term?
- Glass and china etches and pits
- Synthetic fabrics yellow
- Building materials like drywall deteriorate and start breaking down
How Do Disaster Fire Recovery Professionals Stop the Damage From Continuing to Occur or Spread?
SERVPRO technicians take speedy action to reduce the corrosive residue load on surfaces. We open up the space for ventilation and use air movers stocked on our service vehicles to exchange air. To prevent soot contamination into unaffected areas of your home, we set up containment barriers using plastic sheeting and air scrubbers positioned inside that force airborne contaminants into HEPA filtration.
Why Is a Fast Response With the Right Team Important for Fire Damage Cleanup?
Removing the soot from surfaces promptly is essential to stopping the corrosive action of smoke particulates. Our SERVPRO team schedules enough technicians to rapidly clean walls, ceilings, and other surfaces, and our focus is to restore. If soot is not removed before the underlying materials weaken or stain permanently, portions of your house might need demolition and rebuilding, a disruptive, costly, and avoidable result.
Obtain the help of the expert fire recovery crews at SERVPRO of Northeast Spokane when fire or smoke damages your home. We are available 24/7/365 with one call to our team at 509-474-9144.
More about Spokane.
Real Quotes from Real Customers: Listen to what Spokane area residents are saying about SERVPRO
SERVPRO of Northeast Spokane puts customer satisfaction as a top priority!
At SERVPRO of Northeast Spokane, we strive every day to ensure that our quality of work is up to the highest of standards and are always so happy to get positive feedback from our customers.
Here are some recent quotes from real customers:
"They were here in a few hours for an emergency flooding situation. They did an awesome job on both units and were very knowledgeable regarding the situation at hand. The tenants were also very happy with the outcome and the service! Great Job!" -Spokane Area Property Manager
"We had a leak in our basement over the holiday weekend and Brittany and Cole were great. Everyone was very helpful, and got us taken care of. Great customer service for a not so great situation." -Chris in Spokane, WA
"Couldn't be happier with the level of professionalism and work ethic of the SERVPRO team that came to help clean up our house. Jessica and Cole worked tremendously together and communicated with us phenomenally through the clean up process, lifting so much weight off of our shoulder in a very difficult, highly stressed time for us. If we could give more than 5 stars, we definitely would. I highly recommend SERVPRO to anyone needing clean up services. They have set very high standards and will definitely be using them again, for anything needed in the future. We seriously cannot thank them enough." -Brandon in Spokane, WA
From the smallest toilet overflow to a whole house flood from a pipe burst, water damage can happen at any time, so when it does, give us a call at 509-474-9144. Our team is here to help, and we care not only for your home or office but for you as an individual. We know that each job is not simply a job but someone allowing us to come into their lives during a very stressful event. Our ultimate goal is to help make it a little less stressful and help you get back to normal.
How Much Does Water Damage Restoration Cost and Other Frequently Asked Questions
Water Damage Frequently Asked Questions
After receiving a call from a homeowner who has had water damage in their home, here are some of the most frequently asked questions asked.
Q: How much does water damage restoration cost?
A: Unfortunately, we cannot give you an estimate on water damage restoration over the phone due to the complexity of the situation. We can, however, provide you with a professional estimate after inspecting your home. Some of the factors that affect the restoration estimate are the length of time that the restoration will take, the equipment needed to clean and dry the structure, the labor hours required, any personal protective equipment or containment that might be needed, and whether any demolition or removal of wet materials are required.
Q: How soon can you get here?
A: On average, our teams can be equipped and ready to begin the mitigation process to your home within 2 hours of your call.
Q: How quickly does mold begin to grow after water damage?
A: Under the right conditions, mold can start to grow in as little as 48 hours, so it is essential to get the water damage restoration process started as soon as possible.
Q: What products might you be spraying in my home?
A: When necessary, we may use SERVPRO's proprietary decontamination products on the affected areas reducing the likelihood of microbial growth. The most common product that we use is SERVPROXIDE™; an EPA registered stabilized chlorine dioxide-based disinfectant and sanitizer. Our customers appreciate that this product is safe for use on all surfaces and is not harmful to people or their pets as it carries the EPA's lowest toxicity rating for a disinfectant and is also NSF rated for food contact surfaces.
Q: Can I remain at home during the drying process?
A: The majority of our customers can stay in the home during restoration. There are cases where the house is deemed hazardous due to toxic conditions, a lack of heat, or structural damage. In these cases, your insurance company might pay for you to be temporarily relocated. Additional Living Expenses (ALE) or Loss of Use coverage is a form of coverage typically included in most homeowners and renters insurance policies that allows you to live elsewhere while your home is being repaired or rebuilt.
Q: Will my claim be covered under my insurance policy?
A: Although we see hundreds of claims a year and might have a good idea of whether or not your water damage will be covered, only your insurance company can truly answer that question. Our team is highly experienced in interacting with insurance adjusters and will work directly with your provider, including submitting the necessary documentation to assist in this process.
Do you have any other questions about the water damage restoration process? Call our SERVPRO of Northeast Spokane team at (509) 474-9144 and let us know how we can help.
Should I Clean My Basement After Flooding?
As the lowest point in your home, the basement is a prime area for water infiltration. SERVPRO is standing by ready, Here to Help Spokane.
Call SERVPRO of Northeast Spokane to Restore Your Spokane Basement After a Flood
Storms in Spokane can be devastating to your home, even if they do not affect a broad area. They can create damage to the roof and windows or saturate the ground around your home. Under all circumstances, water entry into your home can be devastating and costly if left unattended. Rather than relying on intuition, invite a professional service to assess the damage and develop a restoration plan for the health of your home.
For basement flooding in the Spokane area, SERVPRO of Northeast Spokane is standing by, Here to Help. Our team of experts can handle all magnitude of flooding needs. Upon arriving at your home, we thoroughly inspect all affected areas to determine the extent of the damage. A professional team is crucial when you need to file an insurance claim for the loss to help guide you through the process. As we work in your home, we document each of our action steps, which are invaluable as you complete your case for insurance purposes.
What Not to Do After a Flood in Your Basement
When water enters your home, quick remediation is essential. Regardless of how quickly you reach out to our SERVPRO team, you can do a few things to await our arrival. Taking swift action can help mitigate the damage to your house as well as your personal belongings. A simple way to apply the same principles that guide our work include:
- Remove materials such as upholstery and fabric. Storm waters invite bacteria into your home, and absorbent material can become a breeding ground.
- Air out the area as much as possible. Our team brings industrial-grade drying equipment such as dehumidifiers, air movers, and air filtration devices. Still, your initial efforts in encouraging water evaporation can be beneficial.
- Avoid cross-contamination. Help protect other areas of your home by avoiding traffic within it. Our team sets up physical containment barriers with plastic sheeting to prevent debris and microbes from traveling through your home when necessary.
SERVPRO of Northeast Spokane is at your service when flooding happens. Call us at (509) 474-9144 and let us leave your home, "Like it never even happened."
More about Spokane.