Grease Fire Do’s and Don’ts
Mouthwatering, salty, greasy French fries cook on your stovetop in Spokane, WA. All of a sudden, the smell turns from delectable to dangerous as the smoke fills your home. What happened? When oil gets too hot and is unattended, a grease fire can occur.
Know the correct actions to take:
• If the fire has spread beyond the pot or appears out of control, immediately get to safety and call 911. Inform the operator that you suspect a grease fire.
• If the fire is small and contained, first turn off the heat source.
• Use a metal lid to cover the pot. It is a good idea to keep this handy on the counter every time you cook with oil. Cutting off the fire’s oxygen supply is the quickest way to stop the blaze in its tracks.
• Pour baking soda or salt on the fire. This works best on a small, contained fire.
• A Class B or Class K fire extinguisher may be used. A multipurpose extinguisher is acceptable if it includes B, such as ABC.
Some actions do not work or make the situation worse:
• Never use water to douse the flames. Water may be your first thought when you see a fire, but in this case it is the absolute wrong choice. Water does not mix with oil, and this mistake causes an explosion of grease and fire.
• Do not pour flour on the fire.
• Do not try to fan the fire out. Fire craves oxygen, and this action feeds the flames and causes the oil to splash to other areas.
• Do not try to move the pot that is on fire, as this might spread the grease onto you or other surfaces of your home.
If you experience a grease fire at your home in Spokane, WA there is more at risk than just burnt French fries. Know the correct actions to take, and which to avoid. After a fire, if there is damage to your home contact your insurance agent to ensure coverage. As soon as possible, call a fire restoration specialist to begin the process of fire cleanup and recovery. Visit http://www.SERVPROnortheastspokane.com for more information on fire damage.